Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Laundry on the Line

One of my favorite ways to save money is hanging my laundry instead of using the dryer.   It's like a meditation.  I take the clothes wet and warm from the washer and go out to the great outdoors and hang them out to be dried and sterilized by the sun.   My homemade laundry detergent has no odor so when I bring the laundry inside it smells like the outside.  It reminds me of what my clothes smelled like when I was a child.

People complain that line-dried clothes are stiff.   Not so, stiffness comes from leftover soap in the clothing that is broken down by the tumbling in the dryer.  On the line, no such breakdown occurs.   The way to combat that stiffness is to make your own laundry soap and don't use more than necessary.   I am working on towels and I will let you know how I did it when I get soft towels from off the line.

Now, I'm gonna just lay here between the lines of clothes and enjoy the moisture and coolness on a hot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment