Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dinner without going to the grocery store

So, now that I'm recuperated, I'm back to working to make us more self-sufficient.   I'm not ready yet to completely drop everything and go cold turkey, but I'm doing what I can. 
     I got a gift card to a local "non-big-box store" so I went today and checked out the grass-fed ground beef.  I figured I would use the card to buy it and if I didn't like it, it was no loss.    I also picked up some plant-based laundry detergent and all natural shampoo.  
     Dinner tonight was the beef cooked on the George Foreman grill.   We resisted the urge to go and buy hamburger buns and ate the burgers on the bread we had instead.   I made a salad out of the lettuce that is growing right outside the front door, some early peas from the local produce market, some fire-roasted peppers that we already had in the pantry and a few of the olives that are sitting in the fridge.  I also added some sunflower seeds that were hanging around in the freezer.   I figure I need to use up the stuff we have here in the house or the resources used to process them went to waste. 
     The beef was the best I have tasted in years.  I had forgotten what good beef really tastes like.  I would recommend grass-fed beef to anyone!  The salad was also pretty good for a garden/fridge forage.

No comments:

Post a Comment