Monday, March 14, 2011

Raining Again!

     It's raining here again.  Thwarting all my urges to get outside and work.  I have to remind myself that my seeds and baby plants must be rejoicing in their new homes.  There really is plenty to do here in the house. 
     The basil in the windowsill is finally sprouting.  I'm looking forward to transplanting them into their  permanant homes in pots right next to the front door.  There are 12 plants this year.  2 massive plants last year just weren't enough.   I'm hoping to make lots of pesto before they peter out in the fall.
     I'm cleaning out my cupboards.  I realize that there is a lot of food in there that isn't being used in it's present state and I sure HATE to throw away perfectly good food.   I found dried cayenne peppers that I grew last year so I ground them into cayenne powder (which I use all the time while cooking)  and I baked the chocolate chips and rolled oats into cookies (we use steel cut oats now for breakfast) I'm making space to store stuff that I will use.
     I had to go back on my not spending any money at the grocery store this month.  My job had a potluck on Friday that I was expected to participate in.  I had planned on making something on Thursday night but the pictures of the tsunami just kept me enthralled until late.  When I woke up in the morning and realized that I had not done what I needed to do, I had to break down and go to the store.  I have to say that I bought just what I needed and added a bag of local rice to put in my emergency food storage.  Total cost $16.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment